The Run Down
Head down South with friends and spend the night telling stories by the lake and reminiscing over a great big bonfire. Here are the highlights.
1. Where to go – Promontory Point at 55th and South Shore Drive
2. What do I need – Firewood, Chocolate Marshmallows, and Graham Crackers
3. When to go – Open daily from 6:00am – 11:00pm. Fire pits are first come first served.
1. WHERE TO GO AND SETTING UP
The entrance to Promontory Point is at 55th and South Shore Drive. If you’re driving, there is a decent size lot near the entrance. Across from the parking lot, you’ll see a walking path leading to a tunnel. Take that path to the tunnel, which goes right under Lake Shore Drive, and you’ll find yourself in the park on the other side.
There are several fire pits that run against the shore line at Promontory Point, but the best spot sits at the North end, which is the only one with a view of the city. To get to that spot, as you exit the tunnel, hang a left and it will take you straight there. If you somehow get lost, click the map above to get back on track..
2. HERE IS MY LIST OF ESSENTIALS
1. S’mores ingredients (graham crackers, marshmallows and Hershey’s bars)
2. Canisters to hold my “water” (alcohol is prohibited at the park)
4. Brats/hot dogs
5. Football / Frisbee to make use of all the open space
6. Finally, some good stories to share
3. WHEN TO GO
We got there around 4:30pm on a Saturday and had no trouble snagging the premium fire pit. I noticed an uptick of people coming to the park around 6:00-6:30ish, so it’s probably best to get there before then to make sure you get your spot.
And you want to make sure you get a spot, because as it gets darker, the lights from the city take over the night sky, and your left with a beautiful view of Chicago.